Saturday, April 10, 2010

WWE Venue Merchandise

Going with the theme of my previous blog about the business of the World Wrestling Entertainment I have been thinking about the distribution of there merchandise. I have been to a few different WWE live events in that past couples months and there is a few things that have been bothering me about the distribution of there merchindise.

Being a life time WWE fan I have spent several thousands of dollars on WWE t-shirts and maybe some othere various little toys but mainly I just buy the shirts. On March 6th of this year I attended the Raw Live event in Salt Lake City, Utah. Going to the event I was expecting there was going to be a large selection of WWE shirts from different wrestlers. I was specifically looking to get the John Morrison Revolution t-shirt.
Photobucket
Well when I got into the arena I came to find out that they did not have the John Morrison t-shirt.

Now there was a good chance that they would not have the shirt at the event. The WWE has two shows that travel around the country and put on live events. The two shows are Raw and Smackdown and have different wrestlers on each show. I was attending the Raw show and John Morrison is a wrestler on the Smackdown show. Know you would think that I should have known better then not to get my hopes up. Well I disagree. The Undertaker is another wrestler on the Smackdown show with John Morrison but it just so happens they had plenty of Undertaker t-shirts at the Raw show.

The next WWE event I got to is WrestleMania 26 three weeks later. I attended the events held before WrestleMania like the Hall of Fame and two Axxess events. The merchandise stands where at all the events. And just my luck at every merchandise during WrestleMania weekend I could not find the John Morrison Revolution t-shirt. After the Salt Lake event I went to WrestleMania weekend and visited about 6 different merchindise stands and still could not find the shirt I really wanted.

So this brings me to my disapointment of the distribution of WWE merchindise. The venue merchandise at the WWE live events seem to only have merchindise of a certain group of WWE wrestlers/entertainers.
The group is mainly: John Cena, Triple H, The Undertaker, and Rey Masterio. Two are from Raw and two are from Smackdown.
Photobucket
WrestleMania is a special event where every wrestle is featured in one single event so you would think that the shirt I wanted would be there. But it wasn't. I bought alot of merchindise duing WrestleMania weekend but still had an extra $25 in my budget for the John Morrison shirt that the WWE did not get.

I am certain I am not the only one that feels this way. I could just give up and go online to the offical WWEShop website and order the damn shirt. But I don't order stuff online line much and I hate the wait and the risk of not being comfortable with the size. So I am saying if the WWE could diversify theri venue merchindise alot more for everyone on both of their shows they could increase that segment of revenue. Looking at the WWE 10-k I see that venue merchandise is only 4% of total revenue and has stayed at that level for the last three years.

There is no doubt a majority of fans are going to want to buy the John Cena merchindise at every show weather it be Raw or Smackdown but maybe a few other fans might be holding out for that John Morrison t-shirt like I did. Two days after WrestleMania I attended another WWE show in Las Vegas. This time it was a Smackdown show and I finally got my John Morrison t-shirt! If the World Wrestling Entertainment could diversify their venue merchandise at every single show weather it be Raw or Smackdown they could increase revenue easily and fans like me would be quite satisfied.

No comments: